Question: Why is masonry a better choice than wood construction?
Answer: In Hawaii where we battle mold, salt-air corrosion, termites, hurricanes, and damaging UV rays–masonry construction makes good sense. Masonry construction is the “gold standard” for beating the heat, battling the elements and using our energy efficiently.
Following is a list of the benefits of masonry construction:
- Fire Resistant – Masonry is non-combustible.
- Weather Resistant – Exterior walls will hold up to heavy rain and wind, hurricanes, salt-corrosion, U.V. degradation, and high temperatures.
- Termite Resistant – Exterior (and even, interior) walls made of masonry (and including, concrete flooring and foundations) means there’s no wood for termites to eat!
- Rodent Resistant – Same as above!
- Protection from Rotting, Mold & Fungus – With no exterior wood on the walls, there is nothing to rot and masonry plays a huge role in reducing or eliminating the formation of fungus and mildew between interior and exterior walls. Fungus and mildew have been known to contribute to a number of health ailments, including chronic fatigue, allergies, asthma, and lung infections. Masonry homes can provide a healthier living environment for its residents.
- Superior Sound Proofing – Concrete block construction blocks out noise better than traditional building materials, resulting in a quieter home environment.
- Virtually Maintenance Free – Masonry provides lasting beauty that requires considerably less maintenance than other building materials. Masonry does not rust, warp, or rot, thus saving the homeowner the time and expense of cleaning, repairing and/or painting. Masonry construction can handle just about any abuse!
- Lower Utility Bills – Concrete block stores more energy, meaning it stays warmer in winter and cooler in summer, reducing electric consumption, therefore, lowering utility bills.
- Lower Insurance Premiums – Masonry doesn’t burn, melt or bend. And because masonry provides a high level of protection against fire, hurricanes, storms, and termites, most insurance companies offer significant discounts on homeowner’s policies.
- Increased Resale Appeal – There’s widespread belief, supported by research, that masonry homes provide a greater resale value than other types of construction. Key reasons are the fact that masonry homes are typically of higher quality and require less maintenance.